Headquarters – Shreveport, LA
Job Title: Director, Transportation and Distribution
Wage Category: Exempt
Reports To: Senior Vice President
Overview: The Director, Transportation will organize and oversee a team of employees during a specified shift, ensure that products are properly loaded and unloaded, and direct company truck drivers for deliveries.
- Hires, trains, and assigns shift employees and truck drivers.
- Oversees the daily workflow, schedules, and assignments of the shipping dock.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Oversee the entire shipping process.
- Managing the shipping departments and overseeing employees who work in these departments.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan and implement overall shipping strategy.
- Maintaining inventory records, including keeping track of which items are running low, ordering new supplies, monitoring inventory levels, and disposing of obsolete materials.
- Create and implement shipping policies and procedures and train staff on proper shipping techniques
- Ensuring that all procedures for receiving and shipping are followed correctly.
- Scheduling deliveries and pickups to ensure they occur happen on time.
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure that paperwork is filed correctly.
- Oversee and evaluate all activities of the warehouse/dock and employees, ensuring safe and efficient loading and unloading of all freight.
- Monitor freight movement using various computer software applications.
- Conduct daily inspections, ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state, local, and internal laws, regulations, and policies.
- Consult with the production planning team to plan daily deliveries.
- Teach and implement safe lifting and loading techniques and regularly evaluate employees’ compliance.
- Assess efficiency and performance of dispatch and distribution activities; identify and recommend improvements to department and facility.
- Ensure product handling and delivery practices meet customer expectations and daily, weekly, monthly, and annual business objectives.
- Use shipping software to organize and prioritize shipping activities.
- Prepare and present key performance indicators reports.
- Suggest solutions for process optimization.
- Inspect labels and barcodes.
- Set and control shipping and distribution budget.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders (such as warehouse workers, vendors, purchasing managers, suppliers, etc.).
- Negotiate better pricing for shipping transportation with carriers.
- Identify shipping issues and implement solutions promptly.
- Keeping shipping operations within budget without compromising speed or efficiency.
- Process shipment documentation and inspect completed orders.
- Act as a liaison between management, carriers, and shipping customers.
- Collaborate with internal departments to optimize the flow of orders from preparation to shipment.
- Evaluate carrier performance and resolve issues with orders and logistics.
- Comply with shipping industry regulations and company policies.
- Ensure that all procedures for receiving and shipping are followed correctly.
- Ensure equipment is working properly and order repairs when needed.
- Schedule deliveries and pickups to ensure they happen on time.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with the proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Basic understanding of truck freight rates.
- Strong understanding of applicable Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements and other related safety policies and best practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software to monitor and maintain records and inventory.
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 7 years related experience required, with prior management experience.
- Knowledge of logistics operations and shipping procedures and documents.
- Hands-on experience with shipping and distribution software.
- Hands-on experience in budgeting and reporting.
- More than five years of experience in the shipping industry.
- Knowledge of shipping industry regulations.
- Prolonged periods standing and up to four hours per shift sitting and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 50-75 pounds.
- Must be able to work in hot and cold climates and in an environment with many noises and odors.